Vacation Brain

I have not been feeling inspired lately. It's been months since I've submitted something to a conference, and I have only two papers in the works (and maybe the start of another paper, but it's been so long...). I feel like a student without an idea, who's instructor says, pick something! Pick any topic that interests you! Aren't you curious about something? Read! Ask Questions!

It's so much easier to be the cheerleader rather than researcher.

Photo: Flickr Russ Sanderlin 
But, today I had two things happen that started ideas percolating:

One, I was working with a colleague at another university to find speakers about single service points in libraries. While there are many research articles, a lot of them are case studies. It got us thinking, has anyone examined the larger concept of a single service point as it relates to issues of labor (who staffs them? Professionals? Paraprofessionals?) and access (from a user experience point of view, an internal process point of view). I've been doing some searches - I think it could be an interesting research topic.

Two, I was meeting with an instructor over coffee this afternoon, and we were discussing our different research-in-process. I told him about my still-in-draft-mode article on controlled vocabulary, power dynamics, and how keywords matter. He was interested in the overlap between controlled vocabulary and discourse communities. We might combine effort on something.

Some additional ideas that have been bouncing around:

  • Reflection as assessment to improve teaching
  • Various in-class activities, specifically related to scholarship as a conversation
  • Public policy and information literacy



Comments

Popular Posts